DEMCO, Your Local Electrical Provider
- About | DEMCO is a not-for-profit local electric cooperative, formed in 1938 and owned by the people who receive our services – our members.
- Mission | DEMCO is focused on enhancing the lives of members by providing safe, reliable, and competitively priced energy services.
- Location | DEMCO is headquartered in East Baton Rouge parish, 16262 Wax Road, Greenwell Springs, LA 70739. DEMCO has member service centers located throughout our seven-parish service area.
- Electric Distribution System | DEMCO purchases wholesale power and then distributes that power to our co-op members. Our state-of-the-art modern distribution and transmission system consists of 8,954 miles of line and 44 substation and transmission switching facilities behind 10 metering points. Best in class technology ensures that power is distributed reliably and efficiently.
- Meters/Members | DEMCO powers 114,420+ meters that serve about a half million people in seven parishes: Ascension, East Baton Rouge, East Feliciana, Livingston, St. Helena, Tangipahoa, and West Feliciana.
- Number of Employees | DEMCO has 262 trade and professional employees.
- Governance | DEMCO is governed by a 13-member local Board of Directors, elected by the membership for a three-year term.
- Economic Impact | DEMCO contributed $353 million to the local economy; supported 1,103 jobs annually in our local communities; and generated $93 million in state/local tax revenues (as reported in a NRECA study 2014-2018).
- Regulation | DEMCO is regulated by the Louisiana Public Service Commission (LPSC), an independent agency that manages public utilities and motor carriers in Louisiana. The commission has five elected members chosen in single-member districts for staggered six-year terms.