DEMCO, Member-Owned Electric Cooperative
- About | DEMCO is a local not-for-profit electric cooperative formed in 1938 and owned by the people who receive our services – our members.
- Mission | DEMCO focuses on enhancing members' lives by providing safe, reliable, and competitively priced energy services.
- Location | DEMCO is headquartered in East Baton Rouge Parish, 16262 Wax Road, Greenwell Springs, LA 70739. DEMCO has member service centers located throughout our seven-parish service area.
- Electric Distribution System | DEMCO purchases wholesale power and then distributes that power to our co-op members. Our state-of-the-art modern distribution and transmission system comprises 9,195 miles of line and 35 substations, three switching stations, two mobile substations, and ten metering points. Best-in-class technology ensures that power is distributed reliably and efficiently.
- Meters | DEMCO powers 114,760+ meters that serve about a half million people in seven parishes: Ascension, East Baton Rouge, East Feliciana, Livingston, St. Helena, Tangipahoa, and West Feliciana.
- Number of Employees | DEMCO has 250+ trade and professional employees.
- Governance | DEMCO is governed by a 13-member local Board of Directors elected by the membership for a three-year term.
- Economic Impact | DEMCO contributed $353 million to the local economy, supported 1,103 jobs annually in our local communities, and generated $93 million in state/local tax revenues (as reported in an NRECA study 2014-2018).
- Regulation | DEMCO is regulated by the Louisiana Public Service Commission (LPSC), an independent agency that manages Louisiana's public utilities and motor carriers. The commission has five elected members chosen in single-member districts for staggered six-year terms.